Yes, this is actually a cookie recipe but these little bad boys deserve so much more than to be lumped into a regular ole’ pile with ordinary cookies. They are chewy and packed full of flavor and the best part is….they are 100% VEGAN. (as long as you bake them according to the recipe below) Put your skeptical pals to the test. I bet they fall in love and then pee all over themselves when you tell them that they are cruelty free sweets.
2 Tablespoons golden flax meal
3 Tablespoons water
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cups + 2 Tablespoons (188 grams) or 1 ¾ sticks Regular Vegan Butter or margarine, room temperature
1 ½ cups sugar
2 teaspoons molasses
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Prepare your flax gel mixture Preheat your oven to 350F (177C). In a small bowl whisk together the flax meal and the water. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes so the mixture thickens. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt until well incorporated. Set aside.
- Cream the Vegan Butter and other ingredients In another medium mixing bowl cream the Vegan Butter and sugar until well mixed. Beat in the flax meal mixture from step 1 followed by the molasses and vanilla extract.
- Mix the vegan cookie dough Add the flour mixture from Step 2 and mix until just incorporated. The dough will be thicker than traditional non-vegan cookie dough so don’t be afraid to use your hands to mix it together if you need to. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the cookie dough to the sheets and bake to perfectionForm the dough into 1 ½ inch balls. Place them on the cookie sheet so they’re spaced about 2 to 3 inches apart. Bake for 15 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through the baking duration. These cookies will not turn golden as they bake so it’s important to pay attention to the baking time.
Cookies will store in an air tight container at room temperature for about one week or in a freezer bag in the freezer for up to six months. This recipe makes about 22 to 24 Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies.